Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Sleep/Bipolar/Holidays

I am feeling a bit crappy at the moment, and it's largely due to to a change in my daytime schedule as well as my nighttime schedule. A few days ago, I stayed up late watching TV with my family, about 90 minutes past my normal bedtime. I then slept in the next day late. The day after that, I had to get up about 90 minutes earlier than I normally do due to work. Since then, it's been a see-saw of naps and irregular sleep, which is starting to affect my mental health right about now. I once again got in bed late last night after seeing the new Star Wars movie, and although I got a full nine hours of sleep, I can barely keep my eyes open after a mug of hot coffee and 1/3 of the way through an energy drink. It doesn't matter if I get a ton of sleep at an irregular time; I still feel awful.

I have been too tired to go to the gym, which is not good. In my defense, my young daughter is off of school now and and it's harder to find time to go to the gym when she is home. I know I'll able to get back into a good routine once she's back in school next week,

Man, I feel like I've been run over by a freight train, though, just because my sleep schedule is off. Tonight I'm going to bed at my normal time, and getting up at my normal time tomorrow.

Sleep is very important to us Bipolar folks.Everyday Health's article on Bipolar and sleep is here.

Symptoms that I'm experiencing due to a fucked up sleep schedule are:

- increases moodiness
- increased irritability
- more manic symptoms

Being pretty strict about my bedtime is one of the ways I manage my Bipolar disorder. Not having shift work is good, too. I think that was making me ill for many years.

The holidays have been hard too, especially with all the negative news about people like Carrie Fisher and George Michael dying. In my personal life, the holidays this year have been better, although I need to do better about my sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment